make a beautiful line.

Monday, October 12, 2015

Ikea Angels like cheap ice cream too.

We have a couch in our basement! It's really exciting. Our basement has lacked real furniture since we moved here. Well, we've had some camping chairs and who isn't excited to settle in and watch all 6 Star Wars movies* in a mice infested basement in a folding camping chair??? I can't imagine anyone wouldn't be.

(PS I don't THINK it's still mice infested. We can get to that story later)

*Did you know Yoda DIES? I didn't. Because I'd never seen the old Star Wars movies before. I had a lot of sadness. Also, all this talk about Anakin still having some good in him. Yeah no. May he burn. Eternally. You don't just get to go around blowing up whole planets of people (not that Leia seemed to mind 10 minutes after everyone she'd ever known and loved was destroyed...) and be redeemed because you didn't kill your son. It just doesn't work out. It may actually make you a worse person. OH AND this whole Luke can't fight back because he would be letting anger win and then he's on the dark side. Completely unacceptable. SO JUST LET THEM ALL GO BLOW UP MORE PLANETS FULL OF PEOPLE SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO FIGHT IN ANGER. How could good ever win if they couldn't even fight? Just terrible. Also. I actually really liked the movies, so I'll stop now.

Right. We bought a couch. We actually bought the perfect amazing awesome best deal everrr couch back in May. We were going to put our current giant couch in the basement and the new couch of dreaminess in the family room. Sadly, the shipping got delayed on it and whatever and when it was about time to get the couch we tried taking our upstairs couch down our weird split stairs and one severely bleeding messed up Adam toe later... we learned the couch could never ever go to the basement. Even sadder...pretty much no couch could. We then understood why when we bought our house the previous owners only had a loveseat down in the basement. The dream couch was cancelled just in time and I settled on keeping our current couch upstairs.

This left us with 2 options for the basement.

1-Love seat. (Not really an option since I want to hang out in the basement with my whole family and not just my love. Smooch smooch. PS Facebook tells me Adam and I got engaged 8 years ago yesterday. More smooches. And what would we do without Facebook to tell us these things?)

2-A couch that comes in a box and can be assembled in the basement.

That was really the only option. And that pretty much meant we had to get something from Ikea. Which...I will never complain about making a trip to Ikea. SALT LICORICE FOR EVERRRRYONE! (Ok, just for me, since everyone else [is wrong] thinks it's horrendous).

What am I even talking about anymore? I really have no idea. Ikea. Couches. That's right, let's go on.

We went online and picked out the dark gray FRIHETEN sofa bed, which is way less terrifying than the name sounds. And it also becomes a bed. Now we can have visitors sleep downstairs with the (probably not still there) rodents! Lucky you! Come see us anytime! Not really though. Don't come for a while. I'm going to have a baby soon and I just don't and won't have it in me to worry all night about mice nipping at your toes.

On Saturday we went to pick up the couch and well, the boxes were way bigger than they looked in my mind after I looked at the package measurements online. Luckily my brother's family had kindly taken our kids so we had a prayer of fitting it all in the van.

There were three boxes. Two we were able to tetris into the car, the third had to go on the roof. It was so exciting. We are not exactly scouts when it comes to tying knots and securing things to the roof of a car. But we had to do what we had to do. Luckily we had some Ikea angels show up.

I'm serious. Ikea angels are a real thing now.

There we were trying to get this stuff in and on the car and just as it was time to get the box on the car there were these two burly African guys sitting on a bench in fancy hipster clothes ... eating ice cream cones.

Doesn't that picture just make you smile. Two grown men, hanging out at the Ikea loading area having some delicious, low fat, frozen vanilla yogurt cones together. It was so precious. It was also awesome because they finished their cones and I was able to just settle my 9 months pregnant self into the van and let the men do the work to get the couch secured. They were angels! At Ikea! Ikea Angels! They just jumped right up and started helping. Always good to see there's nice people in the world.

Adam claims they were detrimental to his efforts and their knot tying was even worse than his, but I still believe they were heavenly messengers sent to keep me from barking at my husband while I stood in the cold being annoyed at everything because I'm an extremely pleasant human. Instead I did no barking and happily ate my way into a salty black licorice coma.

And I'm sorry you've read this far, because this post doesn't actually have a point. We have a couch! There were ice cream eating angels at Ikea! Yay!

Oh and the mice. 6. We've killed six mice in our basement storage room. But it's almost been a week since the last one bit the dust. Soooo they're either all dead (oh please let it be true) or they're a lot smarter than they were a week ago. And my kids think dead mice are SOOOOO CUTE CAN I SEE IT PLEAAAASE?

They are wrong. It's just gross. Not cute. Not at all.









No comments: