I always like to tell the kids at church "don't do drugs!" it's basically the new aloha. It's hi, it's goodbye and often it works for everything in between.
I like to think it's just sound advice. It really is! You've got nothing to lose by not doing drugs, so why not not do drugs? Think about it.
Now, at the risk of sounding like I'm going to use my blog to tell you alls about my medical woes, I have decided to do a drug. Well, less decided than was told to by my doctors. But anyway, I've been on synthroid (for hypothyroidism) for several months and HALLELUJAH friends and foes alike! It turns out taking thyroid medication is like finally being awake for the first time in a couple years.
When I first found out I needed to go on something I was super paranoid about it because I've seen the commercials! I know every drug out there comes with side effects (compulsive gambling my favorite among them). It's like, this medicine will heal that weird spot on your left toe, BUUUUT it will also kill you. So I was pretty skeptical because yeah every day of my life felt like I was trying to swim in jello and doing absolutely anything at all felt like running a marathon, but I'll pass on the compulsive gambling.
Anyway, someone with some experience on the subject talked me into giving it a go (turns out there just aren't a lot of side effects for synthroid) and I am so so glad. I'm not sure exactly when it happened but one day I woke up at 6. IN THE AM. That has never EVER EVER EVER happened to me without the help of 4 alarms and a screaming child. And now I regularly just wake up in the morning like it isn't the hardest thing in the world to do. And if you know about my sleep habits (I'm sorry for you) you know that's a modern miracle. All this time I just thought I was suuuper lazy and hated myself a little bit for it. Turns out, I just needed drugs.
Anyway, what I'm trying to say here with this medical history is that I've decided to start making my bed every day.
You follow?
You don't?
That's weird.
Earlier this year I started seeing a lot of articles about the benefits of making your bed every day. And I was like, that's dumb. I don't believe in making my bed. But then I was like, I will try it and see. So it became my New Years Resolution. That's it. The only one I made. It was very possible and if that's the only thing I was trying to hold myself accountable for I could do that one little thing.
And I'm a believer now.
I make it even though I don't feel like it and even though it seems pretty pointless. I'm not like crazy weirdo about it, there are days it just doesn't happen (hello morning sickness) But 9.5 times out of 10 I do and when it happens I just FEEL better. I decided it was better just to do it than to do it so it looks perfect and that seems to be a pretty good formula. The effect on my brain with a imperfectly made bed is the same as a perfectly made bed so it's not worth too much hassle.
Anyway, bed making is the new drug. So with the combination of the drug drug and the new drug I just feel a lot less funky about life. When I make my bed. I Get. Stuff. Done. And I like that. I also like that it's less embarrassing if people are walking around my house and see my room. I'm like an adult now or something. I make my bed!
Besides, bed making side effects are pretty awesome. It somehow helps my dishes get done, my laundry washed and my children dressed before noon (not me, my children. I don't believe in wearing something other than pj pants unless something fancy is going down. Who do you think I am, the queen?) Like I said, more just gets done when the bed is made. And I like it.
So I've decided from now on I'm going to make really little resolutions. Little things that are totally doable and then not guilt myself over them, but just do them and not freak out if I don't do it perfectly. Also, I'm just really really grateful to feel like I have some energy to be a human again. Maybe it's just the combo of bed making, drugs and nesting and it will all go away when this baby comes and I don't sleep for a few years, but I'm really enjoying it for now.
make a beautiful line.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I love your posts Becki! So happy you are getting some relief from your thyroid issues. And I can't wait to hear little man's birth story. If he's already born congrats and if not, good luck! :)
Post a Comment