make a beautiful line.

Sunday, September 09, 2018

Sometimes we weekend.

There are boxes everywhere in my house. Also a lot of flies. I hate them both equally.

Here is a story.

Once upon a time I was in Jr. High and it was terrible. But good sometimes too. Because, Jr. High.

Jr. High included some really attractive styles, most importantly, plaid capris, slip-on platform sketchers (they were so ugly and everyone had a pair and, boy howdy, I thought they were so cool and I think they probably made me 6'5 and even less proportional than my strange pubescent body should have been. The memory is a burden I must carry.) and all the overalls.



I was in the midst of friending Sarah Ann StringHAM during these awkward days. And I (correctly) became convinced that our friendship was meant to be because we pretty much, always unplanned, showed up in the same outfit every day. This is not an exaggeration, so Sarah, if you have any memory of this please give me an amen in the comments.

Anyway.

There we'd be walking down the halls in our matching Gloria Vanderbilt overalls (from Sam's Club, of course) and our platform Sketchers, or our skin tight plaid capris with the slit at the knee so they formed little ugly flaps. I don't know what was going on, but I'm not even a little sad there aren't more pictures to document these dark times. But whatever. It was the craziest thing. I shudder now because there's no way people didn't think we were just weird enough (we probably were) to have planned this insanity, but it was a true coincidence as far as my (foggy) memory serves.

But alas, this isn't a story about me. I have children to think about, people!

This is all just an excuse to show you some cute pictures. Because on Friday night our awesome friends (those responsible for us living in Arkansas, which is a thing I still don't understand how it happened) invited us to join them at an event in downtown Bentonville where we were given lots of free frisbees and Sam yelled at everyone because HE WANTS TO GO HOME, OKAY. We showed up and Mia and her buddy were twinning so perfectly it reminded me of those blessed 8th grade days I had otherwise blocked out. But the cuteness, oh, it was just too much. I love that these two have become fast friends.




Also. This is Sam. He struggles sometimes. Especially at hungry, tired times. Which is always lately. 



Little dude did perk up, however, when given a blue balloon. He let his first balloon fly away, so he was actually given 2 blue balloons. And this is also the reason Mia is balloonless in the following future album cover for their first band.


Even with the uptick in Sam's mood, we left around 6 to get some dinner and go home to see Adam J321 (because in this house you better believe we call each other by our email addresses.)

BUT BAD NEWS! Some jerk amazing human full of limitless potential decided it would be amazing to parallel park right behind my van! Which was just amazing. An executive decision was made and I thought the local crepe joint was just a couple blocks away (cue sad trombone because IT WAS NOT ACTUALLY THAT CLOSE). Off we walked to get dinner while dork face a real good guy finished his time downtown and then moved his car. (/rage)

Our walk took approximately 13,000 years. Sam screamed the whole time and because my back is the weakest of all the sauce he begged me to hold him, and I tried but I was becoming more and more crippled by the minute. So he trudged and SCREAMED the entire 20 minute walk and then, joy of joys

The sky opened up. 

And it began to pour. Intensely. And no one was happy. 

But then . . . crepes!

And then everyone actually was happy. 

Except the other patrons, who probably weren't in love with my son who only knows how to yell. Even if he is happy. Sorry dudes.





Eventually, many delicious crepes later, the rain stopped and we trekked back to the car hoping we would could, you know, DRIVE HOME.


Look! Photographic evidence of happy, full children walking back to the car! Everything is good! (Not pictured, one very cranky mother)


This picture is called, The Middle Child:


Fixed it!


We did get back to the car and, don't worry. The problem car still hadn't moved. Luckily the kids were good to sit and watch a movie in the car while I silently screamed at every passerby. 

Eventually the kids saw someone come open the trunk and lo and behold the car's owner was standing in a parking lot right next to us the entire time and I loathe him, except for I shouldn't because Jesus said love everyone and stuff like that. So I love him now. But around 8pm we did, finally, make it home. 


Saturday I ate squirrel meat. Because this is my life now.


Mia, our resident carnivore, let us know she'd rather become a vegetarian than ever eat a squirrel. She firmly abides by the law of only eating animals that are not "cute."


Sam got his first taste of funnel cake. It went well. 



And then, these friends of ours, who I can't even understand why they are so nice to us, came and saved our faces by unpacking and organizing more than we've gotten done in days. Bless you Frakes. 

Finishing out our weekend travelogue . . . today was Sunday and Zo dressed Sam for church. How'd she do?



Sadly, an outfit change was required. 




Anyway. All this is to say. We're adjusting and life is going well. Even if I need to deal with my rage issues. . .








3 comments:

Mom2 said...

I was laughing as I read this and Dave wondered what I was reading! I can just see all of you and hangry Sam! I love your writing. Glad you are having fun times but still missing you all. : )

Unknown said...

Oh How I miss you and your adorable family. You are a hilarious writer, which makes you a hilarious person. Sorry you had to deal with a jerk person but you sure handled that well - What an adventure. Love the pics and that middle one is so funny.

Sarah said...

Yes. 8th grade. Just as you described. This was hilarious.